During your elementary course you will need to sit the elementary exam. This exam is made up of 25 multiple choice questions, the pass mark is 70%. Here is the syllabus to help you along!
- Head on
- Head on flying along a ridge
- Who are the CAA?
- Airmaps and the air navigation order
- Airspace categories (A-G)
- Restricted and unrestricted airspace
- What is static kiting?
- Wind speed – wind meter readings
- Types of lift – dynamic ridge lift, thermals and wave
- How are thermals formed?
- Identify the basic cloud types – cumulus, stratus, cirrus
- The different types of terrain we fly and the movement of the air around them (cliffs, mountains, ridges, conical hills)
- Wind gradient
- Daily inspection
- Pre flight checks
- Red streamer
- BHPA EP/ CP/ P/AP Ratings
- The difference between instructors and coaches
Theory of flight:
- How the glider flies
- Angle of attack
- Aerodynamics of stall
- Chord line