Nova MENTOR 5 light – the all-rounder
The Nova MENTOR 5 light is the lightweight version of the MENTOR 5 – the master in its class. It weighs approximately 25 % less and can be packed much smaller than the standard version but it comes with all the advantages of the normal MENTOR 5. This makes it an all-rounder and offers you the freedom to undertake nearly every possible type of paragliding: cruising around local sites, paragliding holidays, hike & fly, vol-biv and ambitious cross-country flights.
Small packing volume – low weight. The MENTOR 5 light has all the advantages of its standard version but it weighs more than 25% less and is far more compact to pack. Other differences between the “normal” and the light version:
- The wing is easier to inflate and launch. Great for difficult alpine take-offs.
- Experienced pilots will sense slightly more feedback from the wing.
- Like all lightweight wings, the collapse and recovery characteristics are a little less dynamic.
Suitable for everyday flying – fully guaranteed. Nova deliberately do not construct their lightweight wings by pushing the limits of what is possible. Apart from the gallery lines, all lines are sheathed. They practically sort themselves. Launching is simple. The risers are not “Spaghetti-straps”, but are conventional, aerodynamically slim risers with split A’s. For years, Novas sensible compromise between durability and lightweight fabrics has proved itself reliable. A 3 year guarantee for the MENTOR 5 light is provided by Nova.
Real life performance – the benchmark. The MENTOR series has dominated the XC intermediate class for many years. All three of the longest FAI triangles flown on an EN B wing were completed on Mentor 3, 4 and 5s. The greatest of which is Berni Peßl’s 300 km triangle. The MENTOR 5 light offers the same outstanding XC potential. The wing combines impressive performance, precise handling, excellent climb rate in thermals, as well as a high degree of passive safety for its classification (aspect ratio only 5.4). This impressive performance is easily accessible – even in strong thermals the wing ensures a relaxed and comfortable feeling in flight. A very important aspect for long XC-flights.
The all-rounder – one for all. The MENTOR 5 light is suitable for nearly all disciplines of paragliding. Every pilot values less weight and more compact equipment. This is even more important for hike & fly, when the gear has to be carried up the mountain. During hike & fly and vol-biv you will learn to appreciate the wing’s simple launch characteristics. And if excellent glide performance in tricky conditions is required during vol-biv or cross-country flights, you will love the MENTOR 5 light.
The MENTOR 5 light is a paraglider with impressive performance, which has – in the hands of an experienced pilot – very manageable handling and extreme flight behaviour. Yet, flying the MENTOR 5 light does require a certain level of skill and experience. Although certified as EN B, the MENTOR 5 light is not suitable for beginners or occasional pilots.
Everything you need to know about the MENTOR 5 light:
- Less weight, more compact, same performance: the flying characteristics and performance are practically identical to the MENTOR 5.
- The lightweight construction (mostly high quality 27-g/m2 Porcher cloth) enhances the improved launch characteristics – the canopy inflates faster and it climbs overhead easily. A big advantage in difficult take-off spots, which are common in alpine terrain.
- The perforated profile and diagonal ribs have been analysed and optimised for strength. The consequence is less weight with a very high degree of durability.
- Completely suitable for everyday use: the MENTOR 5 light is covered by all guarantees and warranties as all NOVA paragliders. See Nova’s Website for more on services and guarantees.
|Number of cells||59||59||59||59|
|Projected aspect ratio||3,84||3,84||3,84||3,84|
|Flat aspect ratio||5,4||5,4||5,4||5,4|
|Total line length||233||245||257||268|
|Recommended take off weight||55-80||70-90||80-100||90-110|