Learn paragliding with Fly Sussex! Take our one day taster session and fly solo over the beautiful South Downs.
1 day Paragliding Voucher
£155.00 – £165.00
One day solo paragliding voucher
Welcome to the ultimate Paragliding experience… FLY SOLO IN A DAY!
Welcome to Fly Sussex, we are passionate about giving you the best paragliding experience! In just one day you can expect to get a taste of paragliding solo and the magic of free flight.
We are one of the UK’s longest running paragliding schools, established for 25 years. Our paragliding shop is based on the A27 outside Lewes, 20 minutes from Brighton and 1 hour from London.
- Weekday vouchers are redeemable Monday to Friday excluding Bank Holidays
- Any day vouchers can be used on any day, Monday to Sunday including Bank Holidays
Your paragliding lesson usually goes as follows…
- Buy your paragliding voucher (online, over the phone or in person)
- Book a day of your choice
- Call the weather check voicemail the evening before your booking, get the go ahead and start time (which varies according to the weather)
- Meet at our shop on the A27 near Lewes, East Sussex
- Sign in and meet the instructors
- We head out as a convoy to one of our private training sites on the South Downs
- Introductory safety briefing and parachute landing rolls
- Explanation of the equipment and site assessment
- Demonstration of how to launch the wing
- Time for you to have a go at practice launching your own wing on the flat
- As the day goes on we aim to progress up the slope and achieve higher flights – weather depending
- You fly through the air with a massive grin on your face!
- If the weather is suitable you might also get a tandem flight*
- Debrief and back to the shop for tea and biscuits
- Everything you have done so far counts towards your club pilot rating so you can sign up for the course and we will deduct the price of your first day!
PHASE 1: Ground Training
Site Assessment Briefing
Introduction to canopy and equipment
Parachute landing roll
PHASE 2: Ground Handling
Pre flight checks
Getting into the glider
Launching the glider
PHASE 3: First Hops
Getting Airborne at low level
PHASE 4: Flight Exercises
Communications (radio, bat signals etc)
Responsibility briefing – you are the pilot in command!
Basic flight plans
PHASE 5: Theory and Exam
Theory lecture on meteorology, principles of flight, anti collision and airlaw
EP 30 minute exam – (70% pass rate)
BHPA CLUB PILOT SYLLABUS:
Before undertaking the Club Pilot you must have successfully complete the BHPA Elementary Stage Paragliding (Hill). A check flight may be required in circumstances where there has been a significant interruption in the training program.
PHASE 6: Pre-Soaring
180 degree turns
PHASE 7: Soaring
Flying with others
PHASE 8: Improving your skills
Ground handling in light and strong winds
Exploring the speed range
Accelerated flight, speed bar
Forward launch technique
Weight shift and pitch control
PHASE 9: Instability and emergencies
Theory of collapses, spin, stall, spirals, tree landings, PLF, line failure
Rapid descent technique
Dealing with tucks
PHASE 10: Theory and examinations
Principles of flight
Rules of the air
Sit the Hill environment exam (25 questions)
Sit the CP exam (56 questions)
Final assessment for club pilot:
If you have successfully reached the standard of airmanship required to fly safely and competently and have the right attitude to flying then you are given the BHPA Club Pilot Rating by our CFI.