SkyBean ChaseCam is a unique product designed specifically for paragliders. Record awesome videos and photos from behind the paragliding/paramotor pilot. The shape is fine tuned to achieve as stable a picture as possible without electronic stabilisation. SkyBean have spent hundreds of hours developing this mount using aerodynamic simulations and a wind tunnel, the SkyBean ChaseCam will finally let you capture your flight safely from a different perspective than allowed by fixed mounts.
- Suitable for various action cameras – GoPro Hero 3, 3+, 4 and GoPro Session (ChaseCam does not include GoPro camera).
- A simple, but sophisticated device, so everyone is able to launch smoothly and safely.
- Constructed from lightweight and durable plastic.
- ChaseCam is absolutely safe to use and does not affect the quality of flight.
- Stable recording from the ChaseCam is achieved by using an aerodynamically stable profile, which was developed during hours of CFD simulations and with practical tests in windtunnel.
- Camera case is made from tough material, which protects it during “non ideal” takeoffs and landings. Wings are made from flexible material and are assembled with laces, so it is durable.
The SkyBean ChaseCam weighs only 170 grams. In normal flight (aprox. 40km/h), it produces about 1.5N brake force, enough to fly at a safe distance from lines.
SkyBean ChaseCam is connected to the canopy with a bungee rope, stretched only 13% during normal flight. This provides extra safety in the case of tangling up in lines.
- Head – camera case (standard GoPro size or GoPro Session size)
- Bungee rope with clip for canopy connection
- Wings (ChaseCam body)
- Laces (ChaseCam body)
- Velcro (for harness launch)
ChaseCam is produced in 3D printer, therefore its surface is not perfectly smooth. There are some small dots and dashes that are not possible to remove. Those do not affect usability of the device.
SkyBean ChaseCam will become your personal cameraman, which will record your flying adventures like nobody else. For best stability and quality of capture, please be sure to make setting procedure described in this video and user guide.
SkyBean ChaseCam come disassembled. It takes about 30 minutes to make it. For best stability and quality of capture, please be sure you correctly assemble it as described in this video.
SkyBean ChaseCam was developed especially with focus on safety. During normal flight, chasecam flies back enough, with no effect on the glider or flight speed. But as active pilots, we know what can happen in the air, so SkyBean also tested non standard flight situations.
When you activate your speed system or you turn into a spiral, increased speed will produce more brake force and the bungee rope will stretch more, therefore chasecam will go further away from glider and will film the entire canopy and pilot. There is some possibility of chasecam tangle if incorrectly exiting from a spiral, like during big wing-over. You can see a little kick in the capture when you enter or leave strong thermal, but don’t worry safety level is high. Small wing-overs will bring chasecam closer to lines with nice video effect. Really big wingovers can tangle chasecam into lines, but with no effect on safety. During asymmetrical collapse, dynamic or held, glider is still moving forward, so chasecam still produces braking force, so this maneuver won’t tangle the chasecam. Dynamic frontstall is usually recovered very fast with some altitude lost, this will have no effect on the chasecams position against glider. During B-stall, the glider will loose its forward speed and therefore chasecam could be tangled into lines, particularly if you pull it dynamically.
The universal mount ChaseCam model has an universal platform that allows you to mount almost every action camera. Since each camera has a different weight and dimensions, adjustments such as balancing and correcting rope length will be necessary. Universal platform serves for sticking an adhesive camera mount.
Once you place your camera on universal platform, ChaseCam must be balanced by adhesive weights. There are 3 weights (2x 5g, 1x 10g) in the package.
There are 2 sets of wings in the package – bigger and smaller ones
- If your camera weight is up to 100g – you will use smaller wings
- If your camera weight is over 100g – you will use bigger wings