Thermalling – South Africa
9-18 February 2024
Is it for you?
Do you want to spend the end of February flying in the South African sunshine? Do you want to build up your airtime and confidence in reliable summer conditions? Do you want to soar next to the sea spotting dolphins playing in the surf? Do you want to finish the day chatting about your flights while you watch the sunset over the Indian Ocean?
The answer is obviously yes! So if you’re a newer pilot wanting to build your thermalling skills or a more experienced pilot just looking for a chilled out winter break, this is the perfect trip for you!
About the trip
South Africa’s Garden Route is one of the best places we’ve found in the world for low airtime and rusty pilots to build their airtime and thermalling skills at this time of year. With friendly launches and landing zones, easy access to both soaring and thermalling sites, a reliable climate and plenty to do on the rare non-flyable days.
During the week our focus is to get you as much airtime as possible, improve your thermalling, and really focus on building your confidence and fine tuning all your flying skills.
- 9 February – arrival at George airport.
- 10-17 February- we have eight days to fly, fly, fly! We usually have a briefing after breakfast before heading out to fly. We regularly fly a couple of different sites in a day. Once we’ve had enough, we head back to the accommodation for a sunset drink before heading out for dinner.
- 18 February – return to George airport.
You can fly to either Cape Town or Johannesburg airports. There are direct flights to both these airports from Heathrow with British Airways and Virgin. There are also great value flights with Turkish Airlines, Lufthansa and other airlines with a change along the way.
You’ll need to get an internal connection to George. There are several local airlines flying these routes.
It’s also worth considering adding some extra days onto your trip to experience some of South Africa’s many tourist attractions.
We’ll be staying in a newly renovated guest house right next to the beach, with a launch at the end of the road.
Rooms are usually shared with one other pilot.
Breakfast is included.
The trip cost includes
- Bed and breakfast accommodation, based on two sharing
- Airport transfers
- Transport to take-off and all retrieves
- Coaching and guiding.Single rooms may be possible subject to availability, and a supplement.
Contact us to book. Your place will only be confirmed once we have confirmed we have a space available and received your deposit of £350. The balance is due eight weeks before the trip.